You meditate on His Promises
My eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promises.Psalm 119:148
For many years, I have heard those awful mean voices in my head that tell me I am not enough. Over and over, they declare that I am not good enough, I am not smart enough, and I am not strong enough. Whatever the challenge, they scream “You can’t do this!” And when I fail, I hear the awful taunting of “I told you so. Why do you even try?”
I wish I could tell you those mean voices are gone and that I don’t hear them anymore, but they are still there. However, I don’t hear them as often and they are not as loud as they used to be.
I started talking back to them. I started declaring God’s promises to me and I’d say it right back to them.
“You can’t do it. You will never be able to do it.”
- Oh yeah? Well I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
“You are going to fail. This is going to be a big flop.”
- Maybe I will fail. Maybe this will flop, but I am still going to try. Even if it fails, it will be okay. I will keep going. God is with me. He will never leave me nor forsake me.
“Who do you think you are?”
- Glad you asked. Me? I am chosen, loved, adored, precious, the apple of His eye and His princess. Etc. Etc. Etc.
“Why bother? You are a nobody and nobody cares.”
- HE cares. He leaves the 99 to find the one, and He found me and rescued me. I am His, and He cares deeply for me. He can use me to help others, even if it is just one.
“Don’t do it. You will regret it.”
- I am going to do it. I will regret not trying. I may very well regret it, but then again, maybe I won’t. Either way, He is with me.
I am still a work in progress, but I am learning to fight back. The enemy has taken enough ground from me.
If you have mean voices in your head screaming at you, it can be challenging. It used to keep me frozen in fear. What helped me to thaw? I found freedom in Christ and in His promises. The Truth will set you free.Tweet
For if you embrace the truth, it will release more freedom into your lives.John 8:32 TPT
Discover the truth of what He says about you in His Word. Declare it over yourself daily. Memorize these truths, and recite them as needed. Write them down. Write down the lessons you learn from them. Implant them in your mind and your heart. Continue to make them so loud in your life that the mean voices become just a whisper.
I made a bookmark to remind me of His promises, and I will be happy to send you one in the mail. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your address. May His truth saturate your entire being.
What truths help you to shut down the mean voices in your head?
Thank you for this reminder to fight back with God’s truth, MIchelle. I am a work in progress along with you. Love and blessings of strength in Christ Jesus to you!
Thank you Trudy! I am thankful for His grace to carry us as we go. Blessings and hugs to you!